Tasty mocktail ideas to join Sober September
The number of people taking part in Sober September is gaining momentum every year. This post-summer take on Dry January challenges you to ditch alcohol for 30 days. After the summer cocktails, cool wine and cold beers during the warm season, Sober September is a chance to reset and refocus before the holiday season arrives. If you’re one of those people that will take the excuse to live a healthy lifestyle, lose weight or take a break for detox and relaxation, we have some mocktail ideas that will take the edge off during the period of abstinence.
Non- Alcoholic Sangria
Everyone knows the famous Spanish sangria, one of our favourite drinks during the summer holidays in the Iberian Peninsula. The Spanish punch is not only delicious for the wine and spirits used in its recipe but the luscious assortment of fruit that gets into each glass. It’s refreshing at every sip and its fruity base makes it perfect for a non-alcoholic version.
2 teaspoons loose-leaf tea (decaf tea if preferred)
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup of sugar
3 glasses of pomegranate juice
1 glass of orange juice
1 orange, sliced into thin rounds
1 lemon, sliced into thin rounds
1 lime, sliced into thin rounds
1 apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
3 glasses of sparkling water
There are thousands of recipes for sangria, each using a different combination of fruit, so don’t be afraid to experiment with the fruit you use to make your own recipe.
- The black tea is meant to reproduce, in combination with the pomegranate juice, the sweetness, acidity, and tannins of red wine from the original recipe. You can use teabags for a quick fix or get more flavour using loose tea leaves and the Koala Koffee French Press.
- Add a little orange juice for sweetness (better if it’s fresh), and cinnamon sticks for subtle spice.
- Add the sparkling water and the pieces of fruit and leave it to rest in the fridge for at least 1h to allow the flavours to meld.
Sunburst Orange Mocktail
Reminisce on summer nights with this mocktail made with the combination of orange juice, the sweetness of grenadine syrup, lime juice and tonic water. This is a drink for every mood and season.
The perfect choice if you are looking for a pretty party drink that contains no alcohol.
1 glass of orange juice
1 glass of tonic water (replace with lemonade if you want it sweeter)
2-3 tbsp of grenadine syrup
2 tbsp of lime juice
Mint leaves for garnish
- Place some ice cubes in a cocktail shaker.
- Add the orange juice, the lime juice and the tonic water and stir gently.
- Pour in a glass and top with grenadine syrup.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint leaves and serve chilled.
Mojitos bring up the laid-back spirit and passion of the Caribbean. With this non-alcoholic recipe, we have tried to reproduce the characteristic freshness of this drink while adding extra flavour for a tasty twist!
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
1/3 glass of water
2 lime wedges
5 mint leaves
2 ounces of pomegranate juice
4 ounces of tonic water
- In a small pan, heat the water and sugar over high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil. Set aside and let it cool.
- Place the lime wedges, mint leaves and the syrup mixture you’ve just made in a glass. Muddle the ingredients together to extract the flavours.
- Add in the ice and pomegranate seeds. Then, pour the pomegranate juice and the tonic water and stir well.
Lemon Lavender Mocktail
If you’re after something different, we suggest you try the lemon lavender cocktail. Its smooth floral flavour will make your taste buds tingle.
1/4 glass of lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp lavender syrup (or see below how to make it yourself)
1/4 tsp grenadine
3 dashes bitters
- If you want to make the lavender syrup, put 1/2 glass of water, 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tbsp dried lavender into a saucepan. Bring to a boil then turn off the heat. Let mixture cool in the pan and then strain out the lavender.
- Fill a shaker with ice, lemon juice, lavender syrup (store-bought or your homemade one), grenadine and bitters and shake until mixed and cold.
- Strain into glass and top off with tonic water.
Strawberry Daiquiri Mocktail
2 large strawberries
75cl lemonade ice
- The previous day, fill an ice cube tray with lemonade to make the lemonade ice (this is our tip, but you can use regular ice).
- Hull the strawberries and crush the ice.
- Combine strawberries, lemonade and crushed ice in a blender.
- Blend the ingredients, pour into a glass and serve.
Pistachio White Chocolate Cheesecake Mocktail
This is something you really should try if you want something special you won’t find anywhere else...
20 ml of pistachio syrup
7 ml white chocolate sauce
40 ml of rum
60 ml of fresh milk
30 ml of fresh cream
- Pour all ingredients in a shaker filled with ice cubes. Shake well. Serve in a glass. Quick, easy and delicious!
Do you want to make it more fun? Freeze the pistachio syrup and put it in the drink as a stirrer.
1 glass of cranberry juice
1/4 sparkling water
2 tbsp of mint syrup
8 fresh cranberries
Sprigs of fresh mint
- In a shaker, pour in cranberry juice, sparkling water and mint syrup. Stir to combine.
- Fill a cocktail glass with crushed ice, fresh cranberries and pour the mix.
- Garnish with a spring of fresh mint.
We have more refreshing ideas for you... what about fruit milkshakes and ice-cold frappèes?
You also might be interested in our guide of cocktail glasses. Look like a professional bartender when you serve your drinks at your party!
Explore the Koala Home Shopping collection to find all you need to start making these mocktails at home.